Pages

Sunday 2 January 2011

A Grand Day Out

and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
We just got back from our annual New Year trip to stay with friends in Suffolk.....thanks Zoe, it was great fun as always! As part of our celebrations we usually take a trip to London......this year was no exception.......

and as with all good trips we started out with coffee and cake at ROSE BAKERY........this is a little hard to find, it's on the top floor of a shop called DOVER STREET MARKET in DOVER STREET.....well worth searching out......I had this yummy carrot cake tower!!!

 Our next stop was at CHRIS BEETLES GALLERY on RYDER STREET (just off Piccadilly) where there is an exhibition (till Jan 8th) of 75 new works by QUENTIN BLAKE.......they were for sale too, not like I could afford them.....we just went for a look!! Don't you love the title? FRABJOUS BEASTS AND FRUMIOIUS BIRDS!!!
 Next was an unscheduled stop at the ROYAL ACADEMY OF ARTS on PICCADILLY.......while on the tube we saw an advert for the GLASGOW BOYS exhibition and as it was just down the road from the other gallery we decided to go for it......well worth it!!

 A quick walk past the statue of EROS on PICCADILLY CIRCUS to get the tube to THE BRITISH MUSEUM for the main event of the day!!!

The latest exhibition at the BRITISH MUSEUM is the
ANCIENT EGYPTIAN BOOK OF THE DEAD......oh my goodness!! Well worth seeing........it features a 37 metre long version of a book of the dead

 After all that we were hungry so it was off to eat...........we like to find somewhere different whenever we go to LOndon and I can certainly recommend this place..........DISHOOM ......on Upper St Martins Lane (all but in Covent Garden)

 ....loved the light by the table........

the hanging lamps throughout the restaurant were fun.........
and oh yes......the food was good!
I hope you've enjoyed this potted version of our trip to London and maybe take some ideas of places to visit!!

Finally, if you have managed to trog all the way through this post (bless you!!) I am going to ask a question..........I would be interested in knowing if you think I should change my blog background?? Honest answers appreciated!! I LOVE the skeletons  but have had them for ages now and wonder if a change would be good....not that I can find much else I like........what do you think? Change or not?

19 comments:

SUE said...

Certainly sounds a grand day out - was living it every step of the way. As to your Blog background - I think you should keep it - it is YOU. Happy New Year ....

kjjc said...

Well you are known to like your skeletons but a change is as good as a rest as they say. Why not compromise and change just the colours-best of both worlds there. Looks like you had a great time in London lucky girl. That cake looks yummy.Happy new year.

Helen said...

Lovely day out, sounds fantastic. RE changing your background? Well, I think about changing mine sometimes but like you can't find one I like as much - but ..... maybe a change of colour is a good suggestion by kjjc.

Suzi B said...

Hi Sue.. take a look at Eligia' background Garden esp. in the dark section...one or two backgrounds you might like. I think of you when I see em ;)
sounds like you had a fantastic start to 2011

Anonymous said...

If you can find something you like better then go for it, but if it ain't broke don't mend it as they say........
London looked fab, did you see where we went.......??

Netty said...

What a terrific day out....but as I am a greedy guts the carrot cake did it for me..........
Glad to see you back. Annette x

G Peplow said...

Oh! yes! Sue, you certainly know how to pack in the experience, what a lot of doing in London, and the cake looks to die for, well done you!
As for your blog, I personally love a change but I'm a bit of a chameleon and we are all different. Your background certainly identifies your blog immediately but how do you feel about it? I'll be very interested in what you decide:0)
Hope you have a very healthy, prosperous and happy new year:0) xx

Sheilagh said...

Looks like a great trip, I like your background, what has made you think of changing it? Are you ready for a change? If you are go for it, I am sure you will have something equally quirky and dark:)

Happy New Year

Sheilagh

Hels Sheridan said...

Looks like you had the best trip to Londinium... loving those lanterns in the boxes... your blog background.. mmm, I like skelingtons and I like the colours.. but.. you could do a similar one with the skelingtons and change the colour for each season... and add in some of your delish ravens too.. I am not much help am I? ROFL Happy New Year hun, hope 2011 is the best for you and yours x

olive said...

well you had a restful New Year!!!! love to see the Glasgow Boys exhibition.
Change your background? well you know that I also lurve skulls, look for something else 'skull' like,just change the colour like kjic suggests... there has got to be more skull stuff out there! have a great 2011. xxxx

Nigel said...

Now that is what I call a cake :)

Sounds like you had a wonderful time, and the book of the dead sounds very interesting.

As far as changing the background goes, if you see something that you prefer - go for it.

minnie_mac said...

Sounds like a brilliant day out in London.

I do like your current background. I would say don't just change for the sake of change, but when you find something else you like, then it's time to change.

Happy New year.

Marilyn

Sarah Anderson said...

OOO, thanks for the info re the exhibition, will see if I can go when I'm down there on Tues :) Glad you had a good time with Zoe. Re blog - this one is very you, but I'm sure there will be another one out there that's also very 'you'if you fancy a change!

Luna Art said...

Looks like you had a GRAND day out, great photos, would love to see the book of the dead exhibition but unfortunately we rarely get off the Isle of Wight as ferry prices are so expensive! I love your background it's very you! x

Sid said...

Sounds like you had a fab time Sue, a Happy & Creative New Year to you. Keep up your inspirational work.

Caz said...

Love that carrot cake!! Looks like you had a great time.

I'm with the majority - keep the skellingtons but change the colours.........

Anonymous said...

Can I come with you on one your fabulous trips one day? There's tons of that carrot cake in it for you! ;)

It's your blog and you should change it only because you really want to or feel like it. Why do you think that it might need changing? I like the background A LOT and it suits your style,I think.

The only thing that I'm not keen on is the falling snow, ONLY because it makes my pc take ages to load your blog page.

Siobhan Brignull said...

I cant help changing my background all the time, in fact you've reminded me its still christmassy so another job to do, a change is as good as a rest, I too love your skellies, you can always go back to them later in the year

oneoff said...

Loved the tour of London. I wonder if the pigeons think of Eros as a large, still and dysfunctional brother. It was really unfair to post that luscious carrot cake; I now want to raid some goodies, and there's nowt in the house. As for the background - well, I've only just found your blog, and love the skellies. I agree that it makes this place memorable, but I am sure you would choose something equally memorable instead. Looking forward to seeing what you decide,
Bernie