Pages

Saturday 4 June 2011

Another big adventure!

 Today saw us on another adventure here in Kazakhstan! This time we headed up into the mountains that we can see from our bedroom window!

 First stop of the day was this lovely river.........we walked/clambered/climbed over the huge boulders alongside it ............
 ........this is a rare picture of me.......I am looking at this bridge which was made of rebar, had no handrail, was wet and slippy and just above a raging torrent.........thinking "you want me to walk over this?"......it was pretty scary but I DID IT......and another one.....TWICE each!!!

 The reason for this river trek was to get to this green metal hut!! You might ask why? Inside was a huge metal pipe spouting out hot, sulphur smelling  water......it is a mineral spring! You go inside and sit under the hot water for a few mins and then come out and get into the river which is only about 10degrees!! Repeat as required! There are pictures but they are not for public consumption!!!
 So after the mineral spring we headed further into the mountains to BIG ALMATY LAKE. We sat amongst the wild flowers looking at this view as we ate lunch; headed a bit further up the mountain and walked for a while back down towards the lake before being picked up by the car.

 We were just below the snowline............

 and just above the treeline...........a truly beautiful place!

11 comments:

Carol Q said...

what a fabulous outing Sue. blimey - rather you than me over those river bridges but worth it for the scenery.

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Oh hell... those bridges. I suppose you didn't have a choice. Heck!!

Fabulous images. Especially the last. (and the one with you in it of course!...a new profile pic maybe !)

Hot hot hot here today. Wish I was 'just below the snowline'. Hey, and before I forget...saw an advert for Kazakhstan yesterday on telly. (tourism one). Thought of you.

Suzanne B aka brookfies said...

Sueeeeeeee.......I cannot believe you crossed that bridge - well done you!!!! Shall I call you Mrs Indianna Jones now?

Stunning place and great photography.

flutterbycrafter said...

Stunning photos, what a fantastic place, but cor blimey I would have been terrified going over those bridges

Debs said...

Wow what a fabulous day out
you are a really good tour guide for Almaty!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Truly breathtaking views, what a wonderful place to have your lunch. Cannot believe you crossed that bridge though, I would have been shaking LOL. Great day out. Tracy x

Sid said...

Looks like a fab place Sue !!

Papillon said...

Wow-brave you crossing that bridge-I'd have just admired the view!! Almaty looks really beautiful.It must be exciting discovering the area around you.

DonnaMundinger said...

NOTHING would have made me cross that bridge! BRAVA!!!! Gorgeous pix! xxD

Anonymous said...

I am amazed you crossed that bridge, I know how you hate that......but what an amazing reward. Just wonderful mountains. Can i see the mineral pics when you come home please lol

Gez Butterworth said...

OH MY!!! THAT BRIDGE!!!!

What amazing photographs. I am blown away by your surroundings. Beautiful.

Can't wait to show my daughter..she loved your last pics. She's studying A level Geography and Geology and announced the other day something about Uni graduates going to work at the North Pole..which she fancies! she's off to Pompeii next week and the Amalfi coast. I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous!!!!!

It's made my morning catching up with your awesome blogging. Thanks Sue.Xx