Pages

Sunday 19 July 2009

A Question.......

"EDIT" Thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my question, I read each one with interest. I think the general opinion seems to be that it is fine to use stickers as part of a piece as long as they fit in with it...........so, I have gone ahead and used them!! I will be posting the piece later this week so you will be able to judge whether you think I was right or not!!


Ok, this is something I have been pondering over all weekend and decided I would ask other peoples opinions on it! It's pretty silly really but here goes.

I have been working on a mixed media piece over the last few days and am very pleased with the way it is coming along. Yesterday I got to a point where I wanted to add some words to it and was thinking about how to do that.
I have a box of alphabet sticker sheets from years ago and decided to have a look through them, found some that fit the style of the piece but I can't bring myself to use them as I feel that stickers are cheating!!! Having spent so much time working on the rest of the piece to then use stickers seems wrong!
So, next thought was to use words cut from an old book, that idea sits quite happily with me but what is the real difference between that and the stickers??

See, told you it was silly but I just can't get the thought that stickers are cheating out of my head!


So, the question is:

DO YOU THINK THAT USING ALPHABET STICKERS ON A MIXED MEDIA PROJECT IS CHEATING??


I'd be grateful if any of you have the time and/or the inclination to give me your opinions on this!

12 comments:

Carol Q said...

My feeling is that if it looked good and fitted with the art piece I'd use them!

Lynn said...

I often wonder about this myself to be honest. Not that I think anything is cheating in mixed media but I don't really like stickers, then again if you feel they look just right I would use them, then again LOL, if something is telling you "not to use" them, don't do it because it just may bug you everytime you look at it :) Not much help am I?

Zoechaos said...

Short answer No

Longer answer forget the fact that they are stickers view them as artists materials and if they are right for your piece then so be it. there is a lot of snobbery about stickers cannot understand it there is a place for everthing. The important thing is to enjoy your art - chill and have fun.

Anonymous said...

Basic answer 'No'...if it doesnt distract from the main work and blends in then its not cheating...but I dont think there's a 'cheating' in art work - if your happy with what youve created then thats all that matters.

kjjc said...

totally understand however by the time you do something magical distressing them or altering them, Sue they will fit the piece beautifuylly-you wouldn't use them if they don't.

kjjc said...

wish I could spell beautifully properly-lol

Laura said...

Yeah I agree with the already posted comments. With your eye for design if they don't look right you will know. If all the work was stickers then probably it would feel like cheating but to use materials to be creative and put across your message seems fine to me. Your judgement will tell you.

chris f said...

I agree exactly with zoechaos - the short answer is no.
You are going to alter them I'll bet, and you won't be using them in the way they were intended, knowing you. Your artistic eyes will tell you if they look right and your eyes are among the best, so go with it and have fun. Nothing is barred - and you know you would say that yourself! Anything from rusty barbed wire to stickers.

Ed said...

I agree with all the other comments but I would add that if you are not happy using something, no matter how it looks on the finished piece of artwork, it will never be 'just right' in your eyes.
Without seeing your art it is difficult to judge, could you not tear out a phrase or saying from an old book perhaps?

Nigel said...

Stickers aren't an issue if they as part of a project. It's when stickers 'are' the project that they are wrong (does that make sense?)

AngelaC said...

No - they are only another sort of media aren't they?

Angela

Unknown said...

if you are not happy using the stickers themselves, how about using them as a mask? paint over them and then peel off. HTH Emma xx