Pages

Monday 2 April 2012

I have something else.................

to keep me busy...........
AN ALLOTMENT!!!
I have been on a waiting list since last summer and found out last week that I have one! I am quite excited as well as a little nervous as I'm not that sure of what I'm doing with veg growing......no doubt I will learn by my mistakes!

 My allotment has this cute shed on it........it has honeysuckle growing over it!


 Today was the first day that we were allowed to start clearing up.......above is what it looked like before we started.............and below how it looks today!

 Behind the shed is cleared..............there were several bags of horse manure back there.....great for the ground but very smelly......it is now in the new compost bin!


 We made a start on digging and clearing the weeds.......lots of dandelions and grass....I say we cos husband is here and did most of it today but tomorrow he heads back to work so the rest will be down to me.....mmmmmm!!!!


  
A Facebook comment made me realise that not everyone knows what an "allotment" is.........so, in short it is a plot of land that is rented from the local authority for the purpose of growing vegetables.......or flowers if you choose!

11 comments:

Effie said...

Wow!... Happy digging!

Helen said...

Good luck - you have both made a great start - but there will be lots of hard work ahead. I love that shed!

sam21ski said...

WOW you've certainly made progress

Good luck with your new venture and love the shed by the way

Sam xxx

Siobhan Brignull said...

many happy memories of visiting the allotment with my mum and dad doing all the work and the four of us running around having a fab time, think your kids may be a bit too old for that though LOL

Carol Q said...

love the shed Sue - looks like some ancient bomb shelter. happy growing!

Katie said...

What a great spring project! It looks great- that shed is cool. I must admit when I first read allotment a big question mark hovered above my head...but I figured it out. hee! Happy growing!

vinny said...

Love that shed. Good luck with it all. Am hoping for an allotment one day myself. x Lavinia

Artyjen said...

Have a great time making it yours ;)
Love that shed
xoxo sioux

Papillon said...

LOVE the allotment, and that shed is so cute! Bet there'll be a few inks and journals stashed in there to work on during your tea'n'biccy breaks!!xxchris

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Only a year wait, thats so quick. Down here its years...if at all. The council are only obliged to place you on a list not make one available, thats why we ended up buying a house with land.
Your shed is a great shape.
We've just planted our usual onions, carrots, sweet corn and spuds so far and got the poly tunnel underway.
You'll be in your element once it all starts happening Sue, wishing you lots of good weather. x ps...mind your back, take it easy.

Gez Butterworth said...

Oooh you'll have so much fun! Hope you are keeping a journal so you can see what works out and what doesn't.. wishing you a wonderful summer.

Dare I tell you we've been on a waiting list for over 6 years!