Pages

Friday 11 March 2011

A weird thing happened

at the haberdashery shop!!

But before I tell you about that I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that took the time to comment on the previous post.......great debate, just what I wanted!
It's nice that so many of you have the same thoughts on the subject as me and thanks for the lovely compliments re my stuff......I'm glad you like what you see.............but I would be just as happy to hear from those that do feel a journal is not a journal without the writing element.......I mean every discussion has two sides, that leads to healthy debate!!

So..... onto the haberdashery shop incident!!! I was there with some members of the local handicrafts group buying supplies.......one wall is completely covered with zips, never seen so many in one place before............so I wanted to take some pics as it looks so colourful.......as you can see
but these two were the only ones I got before I got told with much tutting and wagging of fingers that I couldn't take pictures!! Not sure why but there you go!!!

This is part of what I bought........the biggest press studs I have ever seen, these are 11/2 ins across!
And this is what I made with one of the zips....................
I used my sewing machine to stitch the zip around the edges of a small old book..........this was quite difficult!! I had to un-pick sections several times before I got it about right! Stitched the applique fabric icon style image to the front.........
The inside of the covers......I need to glue a couple of the pages down to cover the stitching............

This is it closed...........not finished yet, need to finish off where the zip starts and finishes......not sure how just yet!
I'm going to glue some of the pages inside the book together to make them a little thicker, gesso over them and use as another little journal.

5 comments:

Zue said...

I have not had time to read your post of yesterday yet, but I will. I know it has created much debate..and look forward to reading it later.
This zip project is pretty amazing...so inventive and so different.
Take care!
Sue x

Sarah said...

oh how clever - not only does it look great, but what a great way to stop your book pages getting mucky if you just toss the journal into your bag....

Carol Q said...

NOW I understand why you were taking photos of them! The colours! Don't they make great textural elements too. Love what you done her Sue.

olive said...

ace sue, you are getting plenty done whilst your on 'holiday'!!!!! hugs Olive xx

Barb said...

It makes me laugh about being stopped about the picture taking, like your going to have that many zips to display! It would make great digi photo to work with!Love your work.