Pages

Wednesday 12 January 2011

MASKED STRIPES

Today sees the first STAMPOTIQUE DESIGNERS CHALLENGE for 2011. This time you are challenged to use a masking technique and you can use any stamps you like though it would be great if you used STAMPOTIQUE.
Here is my piece of inspiration.
 I decided part way through making this that it might be fun to do a sort of tutorial on the process.......I missed a couple of steps but nothing drastic! 
First thing is to lay several strips of masking tape across your card/journal page.
 Then randomly paint across it.....I used paint that was left over from something else I was working on rather than waste it. You could prepare several pieces to this point to have on hand when needed! I also spattered some black paint across at this point.
 Next randomly stamp......I used swirls and a small garden definition stamp.........
 .......remove the tape.........
 to reveal white stripes........at this point I was not sure where I was going next with this! The white stripes were a bit stark so thought about colouring them somehow............
 you can see the text and swirls in the spaces...........
 ......in the end I decided to stamp large words and hearts along the stripes..........I like the way it came out......for me black really brings things together!
 Finally I used the edge of an old credit card dipped in black paint to edge along the stripes......felt finished then!
STAMPOTIQUE stamps are available here in the UK from THE STAMP ATTIC
The stamps I used are:............
Altered 2 hearts 7151
Altered laugh 7156
Altered happy 7174
Altered curiosities 7244
Altered found 7181
Garden def 9090
Swirl stalks 3028
Hearts on a cube 9142

15 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this, but then I can't remember the last thing you did that I didn't love to be honest!

I guess to get past the stark whiteness (not that it turned out to be a problem?) you could paint a under-layer before the masking tape goes down

the masking tape I have at home is too sticky and ends up ripping the paper a bit sometimes on the way back up, but that's not a problem if the end result is to be a grungy one anyway.....or you can do the stick it on your jeans a couple of times first trick.

Helen said...

I really love this, and think the white stripes look great how you used them.

Willy said...

What a great idea to work with those white strips, Sue. Thanks for the tutorial. The result is surprising and beautiful.

Kaz said...

What a fab page - love the masking x

Siobhan Brignull said...

very nice and imaginative too, loving your work

Basement Stamper said...

What a wonderful display of masking on this card! I forget about taping off for masking, need to remember that for next time!

Cath said...

I love this, I did a page similar to this last year but I ripped the tape first.

Cathx

Femmy said...

looks great!!!

Valerie H. Marshall said...

Now that's totally kewl! I've never tried this technique - great tutorial for me to try :) I love love love the idea of the credit card edging too... it really added a lot to the look of the finished piece - which, of course, is stunning!
Happy New Year!
Val :)

Sid said...

Fab stuff, fab creative use of technique !!

Sarah Anderson said...

fabulous page Sue, LoVe those large word stamps!!!

Claudia said...

Wow, what a fabulous page, love this.

Jayne C said...

Fabulous.....as usual!! And certainly inspiring...thanks for the tutorial, too!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Fantastic work, it looks fabulous.

Karen said...

I saw this on the Stampotique blog - beautiful! I really enjoyed reading about the creative process. You're right - it all comes together with those elements of inspired design. Makes me want to try an art journal myself!