Pages

Thursday 19 January 2012

Rabbit hole

 At Christmas my friend gave me these three really big maps (thanks Zoe)......they are large scale maps of Essex printed in 1920. Apparently they were being sold as alternative wrapping paper......it's a bit of an artsy place Suffolk:)

 So, today while I am confined to this little space in the kitchen (wood floor being fitted in living room) I decided to chop one of them up and make myself a journal...........the paper is pretty thick so I think it should stand up quite well to being painted etc.

 I cut the map up and stuck pieces back to back so the pages were a bit thicker and had map on each side....................

 ......then I bound them together with a very simple 3 hole binding......I used this ribbon cos it's all I could lay my hands on.......

 some of the corners are nice and ragged and aged.........

 and some edges have the original binding......I tried to keep those things visible..........

 mmmmmm I wonder what "Poor law unions" are? 
edit.....curiosity got the better of me, I looked it up.....click here if interested!

 Then I decided to decorate the front cover......mmmmmmmm what to use? I know, I have that Dracula Rabbit image...............it will go with the ribbon!!

 So, here he is searching the map for his rabbit hole!!!!

I'm really pleased with the way this came out......I love recycling old stuff and I now have a fun new journal to play in!!

17 comments:

Sandi McLean said...

Adore your journal! The title is perfect and the rabbit image, well what can be said LOL

Sarah said...

the journal is GORGEOUS!!

this might be a long shot - but you don't by any chance still have, unused, the bit of map with the towns of Buckhurst Hill and Loughton on them? They are at the London end of Essex.

That's where I was born and grew up, and I'd love to buy that section of the map from you if you still have it available....

Machele O'Dufaigh said...

This turned out wonderfully! The addition of the Dracula rabbit bought everything to life. Love it!

Helen said...

I love that rabbit! What a great gift those maps were.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

The maps make a fabulous journal Sue and I love love that rabbit. Great idea, beautifully executed. Tracy x

Effie said...

Fabulous journal.. I love old maps, that rabbit is a bit on the scary side though.....I may not sleep tonight!

Netty said...

Terrific gift from Zoe and loving how you are using them, x

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow! This is awesome! What a fabulous project :-)

Rosita said...

LOVE ...LOVE ...LOve the rabbit ....its AMAZING ahahahahah.
Where did you get that ? I would love to have one .

hug Rosita

Siobhan Brignull said...

fab - u -lous
; )

Sandy said...

OMG the rabbit is so cool Sue.
Where you can buy ???
Amazing project. This rock.

Willy said...

Great idea, Sue!It looks wonderful...

Unknown said...

I would love to find a map like that! and if I did, now I know exactly what I would do with it .... make an awesome journal of course! great job!!!

johanna said...

this will be a fantastic journal! love how you used the maps and the dracula rabbit is just my taste!!

Hermine said...

Absolteuly gorgeous journal, great way to turn those maps in good use.

Ingrid Dijkers said...

What an EXTREMELY clever idea! Can't wait to see how this journal developes!

blackdragon said...

Wonderful use of old maps... and what a fantastic journal.
We are all a bit strange in Suffolk.
BD x