Pages

Wednesday 27 October 2010

The Elegant Skull

La Calavera Catrina ('The Elegant Skull') is a 1913 zinc etching by Mexican printmaker Jose Guadalupe Posada The image has since become a staple of Mexicn imagery and often is incorporated into artistic manifestations of the Day of the Dead in November. The etching was part of his series of calaveras, which were humorous images of contemporary figures depicted as skeletons which often were accompanied by a poem.

This is my version!! Mine has the traditional flowers but a crown instead of a hat!

 The flowers were very roughly hand cut from book pages, glued together and sprayed with watered down Distress inks.

 I used a letter stencil to write the words. I am entering this for this weeks challenge on SIMON SAYS STAMP AND SHOW where we are asked to show something SPOOKY....I think this might just fit into that category!

EDIT: Olive asked how I made the skull.....I didn't, I bought it......it's  papier mache and I got it from The Craft Barn last year, I see they are still on their web site but it does say out of stock :(


 On a different note and continuing to give glances into my life here in Kazakhstan today was what is called vendors day at the Womens Club.....lots of local sellers bring their products for us to buy.
I did some Christmas shopping!!

 So, this is the Uzbek pottery........................

 ...this lady had lots of felt goods.......I really liked the hats (always another time) but decided I liked the dolls more........the one in the middle now lives at my house!........

 ....posing for a picture.......they were selling beautiful scarves......silk with wool/felt patterns added......and finally just a general view of the room.

21 comments:

Effie said...

Spooky but fabulous.....
love the felt goodies too!

Zue said...

I would be in my element at vendors day. I would go home with silks, dolls and some of those beautiful ceramics. It would be irresistible, but dependent on the cost!

Thanks for that interesting post.
Like the skull too.

Sue xx

Terry said...

Oh my goodness, this really is an AMAZING spooky project wowzersss Really scairy but fabulous. Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show with your amazing Skull....hope to see ya next week for another fabulous challenge Hugs Terry xxxx

cheryl said...

oh what wonderful things you have on here today love that,skull and all the photos are great too
hugs cheryl xxxxxxxx

Sandy said...

OMG this is the coolest skull in the world.
Unbelievable work Sue. Your work rock.

Lavender Rose said...

The skull is amazing and I love the crown and flowers, what a brilliant idea! It did make me jump a bit when your blog page loaded even though I am not normally of a nervous disposition so yes it IS spooky and perfect for the challenge. I enjoyed looking at all the craft goodies for sale...kid in a sweet shop or what!!!!!

johanna said...

your catrina is BREATHTAKING!!!!!

Kaz said...

Sue that skull is stunning!!
Gorgeous local crafts too - I love seeing your photos of another world xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Now that is what I call one SPOOKY piece of art, that definitely fits the challenge to perfection. The skull is so realistic and scary LOL. Thank goodness for the flowers to give her a little bit of elegance. Love it. The vendors day looks very interesting Sue and so do those dolls, wish I was there with you. Have a lovely day, Tracy Evans x

olive said...

didn't tell us how you made the skull? you are really on fire at the moment Sue! someone is in for a treat at Christmas, fabby stuff. Ciao

Sarah Anderson said...

for a minute I thought you'd bought all those dishes etc for Christmas pressies lol! Fab skull, hope you've got all these amazing creations up somewhere!

Netty said...

You always create such amazing art and have such fab ideas, the skull is terrific. Thank you for sharing the photos, so many wonderful things to buy. Annette x

Hels Sheridan said...

Fab fab fab... again another... FABBBBBBY skull Sue... loving the flowers.. they just look perfect x

Sid said...

Fab 'skully' piece you spooky woman !! :-)

Linda M. Cain said...

Sooooo creepily cool!
Ha!

Linda

Rosie said...

What wonderful felt stuff - no wonder you were tempted, and I'd have bought that doll too! Your spooky project is just fabulous!

Gillian .... said...

Sue ... This is amazing, I love your style,you capture "Spooky" in every way possible.

Kimber said...

Love your skull! That is very cool!
I could do some serious $$$damage$$$ to my wallet (or credit card) at that Uzbek pottery table!

Nancy said...

What a GREAT piece of art!!

Thank you for joining us at the Simon Says Show & Stamp challenge - I always look forward to your entries!

Lynne Phelps said...

The day of the dead skull is FAB! Love the distress book text flowers and the crown seems perfect! About your Christmas shopping, I like it all so don't agonize over what to send me! ;-) Just kidding - that doll you purchased is FAB but I really think you *NEED* that hat at the back with the two curliques on top! ;-) The pottery is gorgous with those rich blues and greens! I'd go broke quick, fast, and in a hurry!

Unknown said...

Such a great skull you have excelled your self

Love Dawn xx