Pages

Sunday 26 September 2010

UNDER GROUND and LATE COLOUR

Yesterday I met up with friends in London. One of the things we did was to visit THE BRITISH LIBRARY as I wanted to see the original hand written copy of ALICE IN WONDERLAND. I did not know that it was originally called 
ALICE'S ADVENTURES UNDER GROUND, did you??
 It was only when it was eventually published that it became ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND. It was lovely to see the original and I bought a facsimile copy of the book along with a poster and some postcards that no doubt will end up on a journal page!


Here's a couple of pages from inside the book with original drawings by Dodgson (Lewis Carroll), the drawings by Tenniel came later.............the Library has the original woodcuts for some of the Tenniel drawings, apparently they were found very carefully wrapped in a bank vault in Covent Garden.......I covetted those I have to say!

Today is another day and I have been clearing in the garden getting it ready for me disappearing again (next weekend) and the onset of Autumn/Winter!
There is still some late colour out there

along with some interesting dried seed heads

9 comments:

Rosie said...

Well you learn something new every day - I didn't know that about the title, or the illustrations either! I'll keep my eye out for the images appearing soon ...

Kaz said...

Wow how fascinating seeing the original plus drawings. The handwriting is gorgeous.
Good luck with the packing up x

Sarah Anderson said...

How fab! There's just something about seeing the original writing and illustration isn't there...I went to see Ernest Shepard's illustrations for Winnie the Pooh at the V&A many years ago. A wonderful experience. Your facsimile copy etc will make for wonderful elements in your journal :)

Carol Q said...

The original drawings look quite different to the copies you see nowadays and no.. didn't know about the original title.
Aw you're going again Sue. At least with the internet it'll seem like you're just down the road.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great day out in London.......I was flying owls! I did not know about the alternative Alice title either.......looking forward to seeing what you do in that journal with your new found treasures.
PS. I will let you go this time as I know you will come back again soon.

olive said...

well lucky you going to London... see what interesting facts you can tell the rest of us... going to store it away in case in comes in useful for Trivial Pursuit....... Ciao xxx

Sid said...

Fascinating facts !! Truly fantastic !

Zue said...

Thanks for the info...I don't think I knew that.
I also would have purchased a facsimile version of the book. What a memorable trip and to see the original.
Your garden rather resembles 'Chelsea'.

Have a great week
sue xx

Lynne Phelps said...

You are SO LUCKY and I'm so jealous!!! I have seen the copy of all the pages in a PDF on Lenny's Alice in Wonderland site (love that place) but this is so much more exciting!

I have started a new blog as a place to visually centralize all the wonderful Alice artwork that people have done. It is called The Altered Alice - A Non-Calendrical Compendium of Alice in Wonderland Artwork. Don't be scared by the bright background, I have creatd a header and a blog badge but need to work on the background next!

Is it ok if I post about some of your Alice items and link back to your blog for all the details? I have had it in my heart to do this for a long time and have finally taken the plunge!