Pages

Wednesday 5 December 2012

Have you been good

or BAD?
If you've been bad then you better watch out as tonight is  KRAMPUSNACHTand the Krampus might come and get you!
In this country we tell children they better be good or Father Christmas won't bring them any presents.......in some European countries they go one step further and tell them that not only will they get no presents but that the Krampus will come and get them......he is St Nicks demonic side-kick!

 December 6th is the Feast of St Nicholas and on the evening of December 5th Krampus is said to roam the streets looking for bad children.........talk about scaring your kids into good behaviour!!

 I love traditions based in folklore.......and of course if it's slightly on the dark side then all the better.....so this is right up my street!



 So, don't have nightmares this KRAMPUSNACHT!!

If you find this fascinating then you might find this book interesting:)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I love me some Krampus :)

Artyjen said...

Great page....I'll hopefully get to see some of the Krampus runs on my foreign satellite ;)
xoxo Sioux

Words and Pictures said...

Brilliant take on a great tradition!
Alison x

Burnice said...

oooh blimey - my hair stood on end reading that!
Burnice x

Gráinne said...

Love your Krampus very much! :-)
wonder if there's a movement to abolish such 'archaic', evil and for the children's mental well being harmful habits? :-D
I learned that he's called 'Hans Muff' in my exile here ... and sadly he doesn't by far look that scary and good ...
Suzanne

Unknown said...

all those old stories are focused on child rearing (in a somewhat twisted fashion) .... don't go into the woods, don't talk to strangers, don't eat too much candy, and above all be very good little boys and girls!