Pages

Thursday 2 February 2012

Lace and a metal man

 Today a friend and I went to Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery to see LOST IN LACE......a contemporary look at lace...it was very interesting and certainly not lace as you normally think of it.
 
 This was made from metal.............and look....a skull!!

 A beautiful wire and bead chandelier- like piece........

 here are two pieces......the one in the distance is made with punch cards and wire................

 .................. the nearer one looks like punched paper.......all these were lovely but.....

  MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE PIECE WAS THIS..................WOW, WOW AND WOW!

 its hard to see the scale of this.....it was set into the corner of the room and the dresses were hanging free and were more than life sized.....
 the black lines are lengths of black wool representing the lace aspect..................

 it had something of a creepy, slightly spooky feel to it but I LOVED IT!

 Then outside of the museum was this................I was thinking 
"it looks a bit like the Angel of the North".......

 and lo and behold when I went to look it is called "Iron Man" by Anthony Gormley!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

you get to go to so many great and interesting places, Sue, I'm hugely jealous. I am stuck at work all week, and then at the weekends I pretty much have to do what the kids want to do, and I can't see driving to Brum for a contemporary lace exhibition being top of the priority list for 9 and 12 year old boys. sigh.

I will just have to continue living vicariously through you :)

Carol Q said...

ooh brilliant Sue I was toying with the idea of going and you've made up my mind for me!

olive said...

well you could have told me!!! I'm not that far away from B'ham!!!! looks so interesting will try and get to see it....

suexy said...

Looks so good, I fancy a trip to Brum now! Last time I went I was at the artsfest there and it was brill. Love the pic of your fave hanging dresses!
Love Little Sue xx

Machele O'Dufaigh said...

The "floating" dresses look like ghostly figures. Your photos of these would make perfect backgrounds for a few creepy art journal pages!

Katie said...

wow! It's amazing what artists are doing. I'm jealous- I wanna go!!

Nigel said...

Sounds like a wonderful exhibition. I was looking for the spider that had created the webs around the dresses.