Pages

Sunday 18 September 2011

Look.....

where I've been!
Last week my husband decided we needed to get away for a little while before he heads back to work in Kazakhstan on Thursday so he booked us a hotel overlooking this.......................
 The Angel of the North

 In fact this is the view of The Angel from our hotel window.........it was called The Angel View Inn!

 it's been a bit of a standing joke between the two of us......every time The Angel has been mentioned on TV or wherever my husband would groan as he knew I was going to say "you've never taken me there!!"
 now he can say........"you've been so shut up!!"

 I have to say it's a fantastic sight!


 On the way home yesterday we decided to stop off at Killhope Lead Mining Museum(I am married to a geologist!)..........to get onto the site you have to drive through a ford in a stream, which we did........at the ticket desk the girl said we had just beaten the bloke who was putting out a sign to say the ford was too deep to cross and that we probably needed to wait a couple of hours to let the stream go down before we could get out!!!
 This is that now innocent looking ford two hours later after the sun came out!

So, to kill the time we took a tour underground of the mine......this involved white wellies, hard hats, miners lamps and wading though cold water in the dark!
 We also walked through the forest in search of red squirrels.........not a one to be seen!

A fun day.......with a story attached!!!

6 comments:

Effie said...

You could have popped in for a cuppa on your way passed.....

Rolina said...

I love the AotN - and they are super photos of it.

Ahh, the joys of outings with geologists. They have to stop and examin (thoroughly) ever rock, lol!

Siobhan Brignull said...

looks like you had a great day and the scenery is magnificent, love the photo of the mountain stream through the grass and rocks.

Burnice said...

Funny thing - I say "Ooh I'd love to go there"!!! Still waiting. I'd be scared now if he took me there - I'd wonder why??????

Photo's are fab - were you tempted to alter her!!

Burnice xx

Photocat said...

O yeah... that angel! If you liked it you should probably go and see Liverpool, or on the side of Liverpool. There is a whole army of Gormley's in the sea... Maybe we should go together! Off to Belgium next week but I will let you know when I get back. Enjoy your time with husband before he goes back...

Ingrid Dijkers said...

What an awesome trip!
Beautiful photos.