Pages

Sunday 5 September 2010

There's a common or garden bird

Alter It Monthly challenge says that September is RUST.........oh good say I as I LOVE rusty stuff, from the bits of rusty metal you pick up in the street (to the great embarrasment of sisters and husbands) to the pieces you can buy ready rusted, to the found objects that have rusted over time! This piece contains examples of all these things.

If you look closely you might just see that this very rusted bottle top once had Grolsch written on it! It is held in place with a rusty nail I found in the shed! More rusty nails are hammered into the top and sides of the canvas.
The arch across the top of the canvas is an old metal protractor I came across somewhere and the metal bird is a bought piece.

Rusty screws make great bird legs!

17 comments:

G Peplow said...

Love this it's so unique, the colour is the perfect shade of green and the birds are wonderful, I love rusty too:D xx

olive said...

so clever Sue..... love it. Ciao

Zuzu's Blog said...

Sue!!!!!! this is WONDERFUL.. so many elements in it with rust.. love the bird legs and protractor.. thank you SO much for entering this for alter it monthly. ( its turning out to be the best month yet)good luck

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Ooh I love birds and especially those rusty ones, very nice. Great idea using the nails/screws for the legs. A very unique piece Sue, would look great in my greenhouse thanks LOL. Tracy x

Zue said...

I love, love this, Sue. I agree, what better use could rusty nails be put to, than for birds' legs, (any bird).

This is funny and clever,..........well done, you!!
I love rust too!

Sue xx

Nigel said...

I'm beginning to think you have a thing about long-legged birds (of the feathered variety)!

Fabulous piece, I guess I'll have to review my feelings about rust :)

Kim Dellow said...

I just totally love this piece! Love the rusted metal and I'm so glad to find someone else who picks it up from the street (Yep, I have an embarrassed boyfriend to go with it LOL!). Wonderful! Kim

Effie said...

Fabulous rusty old bird!......

Gillian .... said...

Love Love Love all the "Rusty" elements to this Sue, inspirational work as always, imaginitaive & quirky, thanks for sharing in our theme this month over at Alter It Monthly

Sarah Anderson said...

I have my daughter well trained at picking up bits of rusty metal off the pavement/roadside/in carparks LOL I just love this piece, it's FAB. I reckon it'd look better in my craft room than Tracy's greenhouse though ;) xx

Val said...

Having seen this - I think it is fab. Love the legs.
Valxx

Sid said...

Never knew rust could look so good !!

Sarah A said...

Great piece! Love all the rusty stuff and those bird legs are fAB!

I have well trained kids who often bring in rusty findings for me lol!

Sarah x

Gaby Bee said...

Your rust bird looks gorgeous! LOVE such rusty pieces:-)

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Sue! I love it! Great use of the protractor & I love those rusty birds!
Alison x

Moniqui said...

I could never pass a rusty bit i find in the streets lol! This is awesome work!

Jayne C said...

I just love this!!! It's stunning xx