Pages

Saturday 26 January 2013

Holly Holy Day

Today was Holly Holy Day in Nantwich, Cheshire. Every year the Sealed Knot Society re-enact the Civil War siege and Battle of Nantwich that took place in 1644.
I was born and brought up in this area and have lived back here for many years but I am ashamed to confess I have never been to Holly Holy Day.......that was put right today and despite it being pretty cold and not being able to feel my feet after standing in the snow for a couple of hours I have to say it was an amazing event......much better than I thought it was going to be!


There was entertainment in the town square including the Domesday Morris dancers.......loved his hat:)

 The actual battle took place on Mill Island.......a few pics to give you the idea......
lots of cannon and gunfire makes lots of smoke and LOUD noises...
 drumming and shouting added to the atmosphere.
 





3 comments:

Carol said...

Wonderful photos, Sue! Thank you as always! You allow me to travel all over with you via your photos! Wondering if those were turkey feathers! Wouldn't macaw feathers be so pretty and colorful? Maybe I should send them some! (giggle)

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful........love history

Helen said...

Fabulous scenes.